Monday, May 23, 2011

Sewing Machine Review: Juki HZL F600


Price paid:  $1089

How long have you had this machine?  Since August 2009.

Would you recommend this machine to others?  Definitely.

What do you like most about this machine?  I love the stitch quality.  The automatic tension is great as is, but I also have the option to adjust the tension and the presser foot pressure to my anal-retentive heart's delight. 

I bought this machine sight unseen when it first came out, mainly due to the effective marketing by Juki about the box feed feature.  It was exactly what I'd been searching for since I had become disillusioned with my Pfaff and Bernina top-of-the-line (TOL) machines.  The Juki exceeded my expectations, at a fraction of what the others cost.  Now that I've had it for almost two years, I'm still in love with it.

I really like that the knob to control the stitch length is right under the numeric display of the stitch length, and the knob to display the stitch width/needle position is right under that display as well.

There's something to be said about having knobs, like on a old-fashioned machine, but with a modern digital display.

The automatic thread cutter and the knee-lift are luxuries that I got spoiled with on my Bernina, and I'm happy to have them on the Juki.  Some reviewers have commented that they were too short to use the knee lift, but I've not had any problems and I'm only 5'.


Things you DON'T like about this machine:  While the needle threader works great with standard needles, it does not like Microtex sharps, which is what I use most of the time.  I have to manually thread it each time.

Despite the fact that the Juki feet feel wobbly
wobbly up
wobbly down

to me, compared to Bernina feet, the machine sews smoothly and quietly and powerfully.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your review of this machine. I am researching several machines for sewing and
    quilting. I am trying to stay in a $1,000 range, too. I cannot find a price for the Juki 600, but am guessing that since the 300 is $999, the 600 is more. (?) I am, a hand-quilter, but really need to learn to do some machine quilting and need more space than my old tiny Jamome Gem allows. I am going to our local sewing center to try this one out for sure after reading your review. Thanks again
    Linda
    homesweetquiltinghome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thanks a mil for the review! I have also just purchased this machine in the blind and was getting a bit afraid of my choice. It will be here on Friday and now I really can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to stumble on to good blogspot like this. I am also very keen in getting this baby-monster machine! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been researching machines and as a Bernina owner I feel as though all the other feet feel wobbly! Do you still love this machine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking to get a new machine and was wondering if you still have and use this machine? Would you still recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best written reviews I have read! I love your comparison to Bernina, as I too have used the B. I'm actually on the verge of buying Jenome's new 9400, and wonder if you have thoughts about which would serve my garment only (NEVER quilt..only sew an expanding wardrobe for my wife, from all the finest of fabrics) sewing needs better ...your beloved Juki or the new Janome??

    Kindest regards from Veracruz

    John and (also 5') Clara

    ReplyDelete